Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mrs. Thomas said I'd remember it forever

Did you ever have to commit a poem to memory?  My 6th grade english teacher at Whiteland Elementary had us memorize Edgar Allan Poe's ELDORADO.  She said we'd remember it for the rest or our lives.  And to prove to myself that she was right, here it goes...

Eldorado by Edgar Allan Poe

"Gaily bedite, a gallant knight in sunshine and in shadow
had journeyed long, singing a song in search of Eldorado

But he grew old this knight so bold and o'er his heart a shadow
fell as he found no spot of ground that looked like Eldorado

And as his strength failed him at length He met a pilgrim shadow
Shadow, said he, where could it be this land of Eldorado?

O'er the mountains of the moon and down the valley of the shadow
Ride, boldly ride, his shade replied if you seek for Eldorado."

And, thanks to Mrs. Thomas, I can vividly recall an exact moment from that time in my life:  peeking at this poem in my english book while on the sidewalk between the school and the admin building during cross guard duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment